Monarch Strategic
  • Business
  • Stock
  • Investing
  • Politics
Business

Ontario cancels internet deal with Musk’s Starlink as part of U.S. tariff fight

by admin August 1, 2025
August 1, 2025

The Canadian province of Ontario has canceled a C$100 million ($68.12 million) satellite high-speed internet contract with Elon Musk’s company Starlink, following through with a vow by the province’s premier to cut ties in retaliation for U.S. tariffs imposed on Canada.

Stephen Lecce, Ontario’s minister of energy and mines, confirmed the cancellation of the contract for internet services at an unrelated news conference in Toronto on Wednesday. Lecce, who oversees broadband connectivity in Canada’s most populous province, didn’t say how much the termination would cost.

“I can confirm that the premier has fulfilled his word, which is to cancel that contract because of the very reasons he cited in the past,” Lecce said. “We are standing up for Canada.”

Under the terms of the deal, which Ontario signed last November, Starlink was to provide high-speed internet access to 15,000 eligible homes and businesses in more remote communities.

In February, Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to end the agreement with Starlink in response to U.S. President Donald Trump imposing tariffs on Canadian goods. He later postponed the cancellation after Trump agreed to a 30-day pause on tariffs.

SpaceX, Starlink’s parent, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Musk headed Trump’s drive to shrink the federal government and was a close ally before falling out with the president.

Canada and the U.S. are working on negotiating a trade deal by August 1, the date Trump is threatening to impose a 35% tariff on all Canadian goods not covered by the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade agreement.

Earlier this week, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said talks were at an intense phase while reiterating that a deal that would remove all U.S. tariffs was unlikely.

Lecce said Ontario has taken other measures against the U.S., including restricting the ability of U.S. companies to bid on provincial government contracts, removing U.S.-made alcoholic beverages from store shelves and working to decouple the province’s energy sector from the U.S.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

previous post
Apple crushes Wall Street expectations as iPhone sales soar
next post
Harvest Gold Announces Closing of Non-Brokered Private Placement with Crescat Capital as Lead Investor

You may also like

Lego hits record revenue in first half of...

August 29, 2025

AI detects sound of frog species threatened in...

August 29, 2025

Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage...

August 29, 2025

Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage...

August 29, 2025

Cracker Barrel will go back to old logo...

August 28, 2025

Google has eliminated 35% of managers overseeing small...

August 28, 2025

Frontier Airlines goes after struggling rival Spirit’s customers...

August 27, 2025

What a stake in Intel could mean for...

August 27, 2025

From American Eagle to Swatch, why brands seem...

August 26, 2025

What’s the secret of their success? Summer camp

August 26, 2025

    Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest insights, updates, and exclusive content straight to your inbox! Whether it's industry news, expert advice, or inspiring stories, we bring you valuable information that you won't find anywhere else. Stay connected with us!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Stock

    • CDC official includes ‘pregnant people’ terminology and pronouns in resignation letter

      August 29, 2025
    • Bipartisan fury at CDC: Senators demand probe, reject vaccine guidance as illegitimate

      August 29, 2025
    • Trump revokes Kamala Harris’ Secret Service protection, spokesperson says

      August 29, 2025
    • ‘Web of dark money’ tied to Obama, Dems fuels green opposition to crucial Trump energy plan

      August 29, 2025
    • Here’s the pathway for President Trump to receive his much-deserved Nobel Peace Prize

      August 29, 2025
    • About us
    • Contact us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Copyright © 2025 monarchstrategic.com | All Rights Reserved

    Monarch Strategic
    • Business
    • Stock
    • Investing
    • Politics